Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Have swollen, painful gum back molar, unable to remove stuck food with floss, brush. How to remove?

Hi, I have a very swollen painful gum on the upper right side of my face, towards my back molar. I'm pretty sure it's good stuck between two teeth and it seems to be really irritating the gum. I've flossed and brushed and can't seem to get the particle out. The pain is almost unbearable, and it would be a huge relief to get this food out. Any advice on how to get it out?
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  5 Views:  3515
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

If flossing and brushing proved ineffective in removing the lodged food particles in between the teeth and still causing pain ,its better you visit the dentist once and get scaling ie.,cleaning done throughly.

Sometimes due to interproximal caries ie., caries between the two teeth will cause lodgement of food particles in between the two teeth and cause pain.
If the caries also extends deep close to the pulp it might also result in tooth pain.So a filling is required in this case.

Hope so this helps,

Thank you.
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
It seems like food got lodged in between your teeth. usually flossing helps in removing food particles from the interdental space but since you have tried it you can try using a tooth pick. If still it remains consult your dentist who will get it removed. Do not try forcefully to remove it as it can damage your gums.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 2 users find this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Wisdom tooth area is difficult to clean and often invites bacterial infection and food accumulation in the region leading to redness, inflammation of the overlying gums known a Pericoronitis.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done.
Take an x-ray of the tooth, depending upon which the treatment plan will be decided.
If there is caries formation between the two teeth can lead to food accumulation which can be treated with restoration or RCT
Go for symptomatic treatment of complete mouth scaling and polishing.
Use lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash gargles.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Sonia Nayab's  Response
hi there

thanks for asking your query

food stucked between teeth/gums is an irritating situation as it gives lot of discomfort and pain

and if it remains there it can cause inflamation of gums(gingivits)

brushing teeth helps to remove food debris and floss is needed in area where brush cant reach

as you mention brushing/flossing didnt help so i will suggest you to get scaling done as it will removes the food debris from areas where floss cannot reach

keep good oral hygiene and once in a 6month for for scaling and polishing


Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello and welcome to hcm forum,
your gums are affected with periodontal infection.
The food lodgement in between the teeth may be due to-
Periodontal pocket
bone loss
gingival recession
proximal caries.
A thorough clinical and x-ray evaluation is required by a dentist.
Get thorough deep scaling and root planning done.
Tooth has to be restored,if caries present.
Take care
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor