Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Have pain thigh, hip, spasms.Did x-ray, calcifications in trochanter seen. Cause?

I feel on my back 1 week ago. Now I have right upper thigh pain and spasms, as well as hip pain. Xray was neg for fracture but did pick up calcifications in right greater trochanter consistent with gluteal tendinosis. My question is; does this explain the moderate to severve sudden pain I am having in my right upper thigh since the fall. I Comfortable at rest painful to walk.
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Jul 2013
Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
I feel that the calcifications in the gluteus tendon is only an incidental finding and they could have been there since a long time (as calcifications will not develop in a day or two) and has no relation with your present pain which has developed after a fall.
The pain in the upper thigh could be due to muscle spasm resulting due to blunt injury which typically produces pain during movement.

* Avoid any movements that put strain over the hip joint
* analgesic antiinflammatory medications
* intermittant hot fomentation for relaxing tight muscles
* local muscle relaxant gel application
If symptoms are not resolving, consult an orthosurgeon for his advice
Hope this helps
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Radiologist Dr. Vivek Chail's  Response
May 2014
Thanks for writing in.

It looks like you have had some residual pain after your fall due to minimal soft tissue muscle injury.
Gluteal tendinosus is due to wear and tear of the muscles and not due to an acute fall. You might be experiencing discomfort due to your earlier condition which may appear a bit more intensified after your fall.
Please consult your orthopedic surgeon for consultation.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 2 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor