What are the side effects of Liposuction?
Thank you for using XXXXXXX for your health related query.
Liposuction is procedure to remove fat from areas where it is in excess and is basically a body contouring or shaping procedure. Though you do loose weight, it is not a weight loss procedure per se'.
When done by qualified cosmetic surgeons, the problems are very minimal and usually restricted to the first 3-6 months ( healing period). But just to enumerate here are a few of the most important problems.. apart from the usual ones for any surgery like bleeding, infections, etc .
1. Swelling /oedema: Swelling in the areas where you have undergone liposuction is the most common and irritating problem during the healing phase. But this settles down with time.. most of the swelling is gone in two weeks time, but complete healing takes 3-4 months. To prevent it and to help the swelling subside faster, you will be using a pressure garment under your clothes.
2. Haematoma/Seroma: These are collections of blood or serous fluid in the space created after liposuction. When done by proper trained surgeons, this is not an issue but its something to keep in mind. Even if it does happen, it just has to be drained with a needle.
3. Unevenness and numbness:This will persist for some weeks ( around 3-4 months) in the operated areas. When done by properly trained surgeons, this unevenness is minimal after the healing period.
4.Loose skin: If you have lot of stretch marks and if age is above 50 then skin shrinkage could be a problem.
As you can see most of the problems are during the healing phase and its a very widely accepted and well tolerated procedure. But it is not as simple as it seems. So please ensure to go and see a qualified plastic surgeon doing cosmetic work rather than going to the so called 'liposuction specialists" in the area.
The rare instances of major complications arise from untrained people doing it or when the candidates are not right for the procedure.
When done properly it has a high satisfaction rate, but you have to realise that its not magic. You will have to put in the effort to maintain the result by not overindulging and keeping some form of regular exercise regime.
All the best for your procedure and hope I helped give you a better understanding of the procedure without scaring you off it. Please feel free to mail me for any further clarifications.
All the best.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Whats the side effects of ipills
- What are the after effects of liposuction surgery
- What are the side effects of dianabol
- Overweight want to go for liposuction side effects
- Pregnancy after liposuction side effects
- Side effects of liposuction surgery
- Side effects of laser liposuction
- Hard abdomen side effect of liposuction
- What are the side effects of liposuction
- What causes migraines after having liposuction