Have kidney failure, congestive heart failure. Should Bystolic be given?

My mother-in-law is 90 years old and is in end-stage kidney failure. She had congestive heart failure about 2 months ago and was hospitalized. She was released after one week in the hospital with 24 hour care. Her diuretic, Torsemide, was doubled and she seemed much better for a week or two. Then her blood pressure went up to 190 systolic. I'm not sure of the diastolic reading. Her doctor prescribed Bystolic on top of her other BP meds. She has had problems with Bystolic before, so I was surprised she was on it again. After about a week on the Bystolic, her condition started deteriorating. She has become extremely weak with little or no appetite. It seems she is going to die. My husband told her nurse that we were concerned the Bystolic was contributing to her condition, so today she stopped taking it. In your opinion, because of her kidney failure and congestive heart failure she had a few weeks back, should she even be on Bystolic at all? I'm afraid her doctor will try it again if her BP goes up instead of trying another medication and we will be back to square one. Can you please suggest a medication that I can run by her doctor that is safer for someone with kidney and previous congestive heart failure? Thank you. - Barbara Karmazinas, Connecticut
Sat, 29 Jun 2013