Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Have anxiety and panic disorder. Why chest pain? Why depression? What can help me?

I have recently begun University, which has triggered a lot of anxiety . Anxiety and panic disorder is something that runs in my family, though I feel mine is different - it s not so that I get panic attacks, its that I worry about everything that is given to me/ assignments/ social settings etc. I am a total perfectionist, which could also have triggered it, and throughout high school, I have struggled with this (I would feel overwhelmed with assignments, procrastinate, get upset if I didn t get over 90% etc). My body image is also something I struggle with. Lately however, I have become even more depressed ,stressed, and have been upset/crying for days.My head has been hurting for over a week (and I have booked an appointment with a doctor to look at that) and have minor chest pains as well. I am finding it even more difficult than usual to concentrate, read (I have to constantly re-read things just to understand them) and write/ say things (like the words are there but I just can t communicate them).I also have moments (like right now) where I am full of energy. I feel as though my mind is always racing with thoughts that I can t control, and I know I shouldn t look to the internet for answers, but I was wondering if anyone has had an experience like this and can share some advice. Please help!
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
welcome to healthcare magic
it seems that you are suffering form GENERALIZED ANXIETY DISORDER which is also an anxiety disorder like panic disorder. Your experiences are not unique; most of patients of GAD feel the same. Like panic disorder it is also treated by antidepressants as sertraline, fluoxetine ,escitalopram etc. you mood swings may be related to co existing biploar disorder in which persons has shifts of mood from depression to mania or hypomania. So consult a psychiatrist, and start treatment. very soon you will be free of symptoms.
best of luck
Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor