Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Hard, growing lump on the head, feels to be full with thick gel. What treatment should be taken?

I have a hardish, nonmovable lump growing on top of my head - imagine trying to stand on your head... it s right there (visible under hair less than an inch from my forehead hairline). I ve had it for years and it has grown to where it is visible now and alters how my hair falls. I d say it s at least the diameter of a quarter, maybe a bit larger and maybe a 1/2 inch tall. Years ago (I d say 5 or 6?) my family doctor said it was a fatty tumor and nothing to worry about and he could remove it. I chose not to have it done as it wasn t a bother. It is now. It s hard, but not rock hard. I can push on it and if feels as if it has a very thick gel in it, but it s quite secure to the spot. What kind of doctor should I see about this that could remove it with the most minimal permanent scarring and damage to my hair line? Thanks!
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  79
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
hi there, your description fits to the diagnosis of a sebaceous cyst and only permanent treatment for it is excision. A good surgeon or a plastic surgeon will be able to excise it without much of scaring or change in your hairline. It is not an emergency condition and you can pick the surgeon of your choice and get it operated electively. Take care.
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor