Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Had surgery below scalp to remove cyst. Noticed swelling and having pain. Should I consult a doctor?

i had surgery on the bqack of my head just below my scalp to remove a cyst that has been there for over 20 years. that was a week ago and i kept having pain that seemed to be slowly getting worse. now there is definite swelling about an inch above the incision site and it is very tender. should i go to the er or wait till monday and call my surgeon?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  67
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
General Surgeon 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
You didn't mention the size of the Cyst which was removed.
The pain after surgery may be due to infection at the surgery site.Because of the associated inflammation,there may be swelling and it would be tender to touch.
If the cyst was large,there will be some serous collection beneath the suture in the dead space.It resolves spontaneously sometimes.Or else it has to be drained.
Please consult your surgeon and get it treated.
But,nothing to worry.
Wish you good health
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor