Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Habit of sucking gum. Irritating, small white bump in the mouth in the place of sucking. Suggest

I have a small white bump inside my mouth on right side top of my cheek right at the top of where my tooth begins does not hurt at all. In past I had a major tooth ache and I got in a horrible habit of sucking on my gum/ cheek where the tooth hurt it just made it feel better i know horrible its 2nd to last tooth on my right side . Anyways The bump can literally fit right inside the crevis of where I used to suck on its weird it really seems to fit perfectly . But I have had it for more then two weeks. I do smoke well I did smoke I quit going on almost a month . I really have not noticed the bump in past but now it's just bugging me cause its there. I tried cutting if off I know again very stupid cause it seemed to just make worse . DO NOT WANT TO GO TO DRS anything u can say or suggest besides see a dr that c,an help.
Asked On : Wed, 24 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  108
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
You seem to have a cavity on your tooth which is now infected. The abscess is present around the tooth and it requires immediate treatment by your dentist. Consult your dentist for treatment at the earliest. Use warm saline gargle 3-4 times a day for temporary relief. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Due to physical trauma caused by sucking of gums there is formation of lump in the mouth.
You are having this habit because of the infected tooth, once the tooth is treated you will automatically stop the habit.
You are not suppose to cut the tissue with your own.
Even the growth is painless you need to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done.
Get the treatment of the infected tooth done.
See if the growth can be excised surgically.
Maintain a good oral hygiene,use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hEllo and welcome to hcm,

Since you had toothache previously,there may be created cavity due to dental caries.
The cavity is the place where the tongue tends to suck.
The bump may be arised due to periapical infection resulting in abscess formation.
You can place a cotton dipped in formocresol solution for a temporary relief.
But for permanent cure,the pus has to be drained out and curetted.
Root canal treatment or pulp capping has to be done if required.
Maintain oral hygiene well.
I would advice you to visit a dentist as soon as possible.
Take care.
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response

Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Appearance of bumps on the cheek mucosa like indicates inflammation due to trauma by sucking the area.

Recurrent trauma to the mucosa may lead to formation of ulcers or

start with multivitamin supplements for 7 to 10 days and vitamin C lozenges will help in resolving the problem.

avoid alcohol , carbonated drinks , tobacco chewing and smoking as these may worsen the area affected.

Apply oral antiseptic ,analgesic ointments like dentogel or mucogel topically over the affected area.

you need to get an x ray done for the infected tooth to confirm the presence of infection, approach a dentist and get the treatment done .

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor