Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Five year old not able to pronounce words.

My nephew is five years old and he can?t pronounce some words correctly, do you think this is the right age to go to speech therapist? Can we teach him something home?
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jan 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  1689
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
  User's Response
Understand that the speech therapist would introduce one sound at a time -- in the office (showing them how to form their lips/tongue), then at home you can work with them for 20to30 minutes every day for a week. You would then go back and try a new sound. So, if he can't say the ?f?, ?chi?, or 'y' correctly, have him repeat the sound in words with that initial/middle/& ending sound like cheese/marching/catch. Have pictures (or dictionary) with the words printed so that they see and identify them. And get little prizes of the bubble gum etc to reward them for working hard. Kids get frustrated or bored with practicing. He should have been going to speech therapy already by this time.
Answered: Wed, 27 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor