Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Emotional fluctuations, irritation, anger, depressed, self injury. Whats wrong with the mental health?

Hello I am a female 18 years of age. I m having a lot of highs and lows related to my emotions and often feel annoyed,irritated,angry and depressed and after a few days I have sudden bursts of happiness and this is very extreme as when I am feeling down I sometimes hurt myself for reasons I myself don t understand and sometimes have thoughts of dying but I know I wouldn t kill myself but the thought is still there I am normally a fun loving , adventurous person but with these ups and downs I feel like there is something wrong with my mental state I want to know if I need to see a doctor
Asked On : Tue, 15 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

You definitely need to seek help for your mood fluctuations, suicidal thoughts and self-harming behaviour. Your symptoms could be indicative of a dosorder of emotional instability. You need help to deal with this problem and control your emotions and mood fluctuations. I would strongly advise you to consult a psychiatrist for a detailed psychological assessment and for planning further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Sun, 28 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor