Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Drinking addict, rehab multiple times, eyes sunken. What is treatment?

Hi, my 67 year old ex-husband is drinking himself to death literally. He doesn't eat, he is emaciated, eyes sunken, and refuses to get help. I check every few days to see if he is still alive, just because he is the father of our children and I hate to think they will have that image of him in their minds (they are 20 and 24).

Suggestions? He has been to rehab multiple times, both the weeks long and the short, daily therapy and group therapy and we spent a lot of money on it before we divorced.

Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychologist 's  Response
Dec 2015
Welcome to HCM
We are very sorry to hear about your ex husband.
From the description you gave, he seems to chronic alcoholic.
Long term rehbilitation treatment and some drug therapy along with family support is what he needs.
After you divorced him, there is no family.
He lives in himself and has enough reasons to be an alcoholic.
As he is 67, he need a complete and thorough check up and clinical intervention to be confirmed of so many problems.
Though divorced, ask your children to look after him. After all he is their father.
Take him to a GP immediately.
Answered: Wed, 15 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor