Does a fasting sugar level of 137 mg/dl indicates diabetes?

Thank you. I have been taking prednisone for 5 months to treat PMR. (taking from 125 mg down to 16.25mg at present) I recently noticed that I had increased thirst so asked my doctor to take a blood test. My glucose fasting test result was 137 mg/dL. Are there other tests I should take, and does this mean I have diabetes. My doctor does not seem too concerned.
Thu, 28 Jun 2018
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

A fasting blood sugar >=126 mg/l is suggestive for the diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus. The long lasting therapy with glucocorticoids like Prednisone can cause Diabetes. If you were me patient i will suggest to repeat a fasting; 2h after the meal blood sugar and HbA1C test. These tests will confirm the diagnosis and than you can have the right treatment for this diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas's  Response

Fasting blood glucose(FBS) >126 Mg% indicates diabetes.Go for FBS as well as PPBS(post-prandial blood sugar).You can also go for HbA1C level .Any figure above 6.5 indicates diabetes. Prednisone can cause hyperglycaemia (reversible).