Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with superficial thrombophlebitis. Pain and swelling on the leg. Permanent remedy?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with superficial thrombophlebitis , I have been usin prescribed cream 4 times a day, elevate my leg, 600mg of ibuprophen and wear a support tight however the swelling isn t going down and my leg is in agony when I put pressure on it. Can you tell me if there is any other treatment I can have or how long this should go on please? Am I ok to work also? Many thanks
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  152
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi there,

Thanks for your query.

You have not mentioned the duration of your problems.

However, from the information provided, the possibility of deep vein thrombosis(DVT) cannot be ruled out. In this case, a long course of drugs, which prevent clotting of blood, are used to treat the condition. Get a Doppler Flow Study done to rule out/confirm DVT.

Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me, order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised.

If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” rating to my answer, to encourage all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries.

Fond regards and have a nice day

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Answered: Thu, 21 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor