Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with acute osteoarthiritis. What are the alternatives to surgery?

I have just been diagnosed with accute osteo arthritis in my right hip. My family Dr has made an appt. with a surgeon. What are the alternatives to surgery? My biggest concern, is that my right leg has poor circulation due to accute thrombophabitis 48 yrs ago, so severe that Drs. wanted to amputate my leg at the hip. I refused to sign the release. My appt. for the surgeon is in Nov., I do plan to go to talk to him, but I really do not want to resort to surgery is there is any other way to approach this. It is uncomfortable, and does limit my activities, but for the past 4 or 5 years I have dealt with it. Please advise. Sincerely, Diane Shantz
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  23
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Rest, Anti-inflamatory, physical therapy are conservative line of management and often relieves symptoms. If pain remains excruciating interfering your daily routine surgery (THR) offers hope and relief
Answered: Mon, 28 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor