Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with Chondromalacia patella. Pain in knees while walking, sitting, playing. Time for surgery?

Hi, I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia patella or patellofemoral syndrome about five years ago. Now I haven t had any injuries since but I don t do any physical therapy . My knee now hurts when I walk, lay down, sit, drive, play volleyball, and pretty much anything and everything. I find myself limping every time I walk. I can t stand the pain. Do you think it s time for surgery?
Asked On : Thu, 6 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  189
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

In chondromalacia, there is softening or wearing down of the articular cartilage on the back of the patella (kneecap) or other bone surface in the joint. Grade 4 is the worst stage .

Treatment for Chondromalacia depends on your symptoms. If you have severe pain and are limited in daily activities or can't play sports like you want to, then you have to consult an orthopedic surgeon about surgery.

Surgery can include microfracture procedure if it's limited to a small area or cleaning up the joint and smoothing the surfaces via scope.

You can also treat it conservatively including physical therapy, RICE, taking a break from activity, strengthening, etc.

Wishing you good health.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Answered: Thu, 6 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor