Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Cyst on thumb bone, filled with fluid. Surgery required or drawing fluid will fix the problem?

I have a cyst on the scaffoid bone in my left thumb--I have had one doctor telling me the only fix is surgery-another doctor has prescribed splints and did a cortisone injection into the joint , which only gave me relief for about 3 weeks. The cyst fills up with fluid making the palm senstive to touch. At what point should I consider surgery. The initial doctor who suggested surgery told me drawing the fluid out of the cyst will not fix the problem, only surgery.
Asked On : Sun, 6 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  89
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Good morning. i think cyst over scaphoid could ganglion which is nothing but cystic swelling of joint fluid. it appears spontaneusly and disappears. if it is causing compression of the median nerve as in ur case it should be excised otherwise it reappears spontaneously even after draining of fluid. Thank u
Answered: Sun, 4 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor