Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Child has swollen forehead, dizziness, nausea. Should I go to ER?

Hello & goodmorning. My son, who will be 8 on Thursday, fell at dismissall yesterday at school. They called me immediatly to come and pick him up as the swelling and bruising to the area (right side of forehead ) immediatly swelled up as fast as the characters in a cartoon, and as big too per the 2 teachers and office worker present. Upon picking him up yesterday he was dizzy and nauseated for 2-2.5 hours after the fall, and still doesn t remember how the fall happened, however I am told he never lost consciousness . His eyes were very glassy, he had very little enery, and his face was flush, so I took him to the ER to be checked. They said he had a concussion , to watch him for the next few days and gave me the list of warning signs. My question is this: this morning the goose egg is flattening out some and spreading across his forehead. However, now there is an indentation in the center of it. Is this the denting they were speaking of in the things to watch for and if it happens to come back to the ER?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
hello there,

the indentation there may be a bony one and in my opinion you should go to ER for re-evaluation. if the child is asymptomatic may be nothing would be needed but it is important to know the extension of the indentation, if its there, to be safe.

this may need CAT scan of head to be done to asses the injury.

generally if its not pressing on any intracranial soft tissue (structures inside the skull) no intervention is needed. and i think that would be the case with your child as he is free of any symptoms.

you have to be vigilant of any danger signs that ve been explained to you.
in some cases the these kind of injuries may manifest even after months even, so you have to keep this mind too.

wish your child a rapid recovery
Dr. Amit Kumar

Answered: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor