Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Child has small fleshy bump with white bubbles on upper gum above tooth causing intermittent pain. Should I take her to dentist?

My 7 year old daughter has a small fleshy bump on her upper left gum above a tooth for over a week now. it looks like there are a number of white little bubbles contained within it also. It is about 5mm in diameter but it hasn t popped. It is soft to feel and is sore every now and again for her. Should I take her to dentist?
Asked On : Sat, 12 Jan 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  2773
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Hello,The bump in the gums is because of the infected tooth or the infection in the gum.Some times as it is difficult to clean the tooth the gum around the tooth becomes infected with pain and swelling.For this you have to visit the dentist and get the diagnosis made.The dentist will do the clinical eaminaton and take the radiograph to see whether the tooth is infected or it is the gum. Till then you can do the warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day.
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
Hello there, It looks to be gingival (gum) abscess. It is a pus containing sac like structure caused due to trauma to the tissue or bacterial infection of gums. If not treated in time it may advance and progress to the underlying bone. Treatment for this is very simple, pus sac is probed and drainage is done or a simple incision can remove the bump followed by a course of antibiotic will give relief.consult your dentist soon.i hope this information helps you,take care.
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepika Attresh's  Response
Hello & welcome
as you said that fleshy bump is above tooth, so tooth associated with this may be decayed.
you should visit to your dentist for further assistance.
if tooth will be in preservable condition than tooth will be planned for RCT.
Along with that an antibiotic course is also required to treat completely.
thanks & take care
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
Yes. definitly you have see your dentist.White bubbles on the gum indicates of an gingival abcess which may be either because of the infection in the gums or teeth . If there is caries in the tooth then the abcess is draining on the overlying gingiva .. this has to be treated as early as possible because the teeth has to be retained till the permanent teeth erupts .. drainage of the abcess can be done by pricking with a sterile needle and followed by the pulpectemy and a course of antibiotic .
thank you
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor