Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Child has motion sickness, have to travel. Had given emeset, dint work. What to do?

hello doctor, my daughter is two and a half year old and she suffers a lot with motion sickness now a days.Tomorow we are about to travel a lot(from singapore to tamilnadu,India).A half an hr car ride followed by 4 hrs plane and then a 4 hrs car travel again.I gav Emeset(2.5 ml) last time which didnt work out and she vomited again.I'm confused about incresing the dosage too.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  202
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Motion sickness is due to the stimulation of vestibular apparatus inside the inner ear because of miscommunication between the cerbellum,vestibular apparatus and extra can
make her sleep and give sufficient interval between car journeys and air travel.Vertigon medicine may help but consult your paediatrician .In adults seeing distant objects during journey and avoiding fastdriving in sharp curve can prevent motion sickness
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Saloni Shah's  Response
You can try promethazine, diphenhydramine, hyoscine (with caution as studies have only been done in adult males - though it is less likely to cause sleepiness), cinnarizine.
Simple ways to prevent travel sickness are -
Focus child's attention elsewhere, e.g. out of the window, on the horizon where practical
Do not encourage reading or focusing on games while travelling
Avoid unnecessary head movements by using pillows or a headrest
If travelling by car, seat child near the front of the vehicle, that is, middle rather than third row in a larger vehicle
If flying, sit over the aeroplane wing – the ride tends to be less bumpy
Have the child recline as much as possible
Feed the child a light snack before travelling – avoid heavy, greasy meals
Ensure ventilation either from open window or air conditioning – avoid overheating
Try to keep calm – motion sickness is more likely to happen if a child is worried about having an episode
Hope this helps

Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Critical Care Specialist Dr. Ghulam Ali Shah's  Response
Hello and welcome to health care magic.
Emeset is ondansetron which is used to treat vomiting of GIT origins’. Vomiting of motion sickness has different etiology and is better prevented rather than treated.Drugs used for its treatment include antihistaminic like meclizine and dimenhydramine .Anther class of drugs used are anticholinergic drugs like scopolamine .It is used as transdermal patch behind the ear at least 4 hour before starting journey. For prescription for these drugs pleases consult a physician at singapore.There are few tips for its prevention:
In car give him front seat and in plane seat near window and near wings where motion is minimized.
Don't give him strong odors and spicy or greasy foods that don't agree with his taste.
Don’t allow him to read while travelling and don't allow him to watch passenger with same disease. Give medicine at least 2 hours before start of journey.
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Himanshi Kashyap's  Response
Hi Janaki,

For your daughter's motion sickness you can try a few things
1) giving her candies while on the journey.
2) let her observe things which are far away like the horizon .
3)while in the car if possible let her take in fresh air.
3)give her safe medication like promethazine to sedate her.

Emeset for her can be increased to 5ml for controlling her vomits.Get in touch with a doctor to get the prescription for promethazine medication before the journey.

Take care.

Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor