Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Child has lesion on scalp. Diagnosed as granuloma pyogenicum. Done cauterization, taken Neosporin. Is chemical cauterization better?

my 8 year old son has a lesion on his scalp for about 2 months now. It is 2 mm in dia and height and is blood red in color. It bled a lot 2 weeks back on minor trauma. Dermatologist has diagnosed it as granuloma pyogenicum and did partial cauterization yesterday using chemicals (I think copper sulphate or phenol ). He has advised neosprin ointment and allegra syp for 3 days after which he will try to cauterize it with chemicals again. Is chemical cauterization better than electrical? He also mentioned that if it does not go or recurs, we may have to remove it surgically which will involve local anesthesia and couple of stitches on scalp. Is there a way to avoid surgery? Which treatment s recommended?
Mon, 12 Nov 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics ,  
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

I would suggest that you go in for surgical removal which will be a cleaner, better and a faster way of removal of the lesion. Cauterization, whether chemical or electrical, also causes pain and the scar will be not be a clean one. Local anaesthesia will ensure that pain is minimal, if any.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.


I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hi, Doctor ,In the year Aug 2009 there was abnormal tissue grown on my tongue which laterly by surgical removed and Biopsy(small)confirmed that...

Recent questions on  Scalp

doctor1 MD

age-29, height-5ft 2", weight-50kg, medical history-no special ailment to mention, Query-I am having severe hair fall and itching scalp since few...

doctor1 MD

I am taking Prograf 7 mg bid as I had a liver transplant on July 21/13. I was searching side effects of prograf and notice alopecia is one of them....

doctor1 MD

Not sure where to start, my husband has been to dr s and dermatologist , they have ran test n biaposy , He has bumps especially on his scalp but...