Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Child has injured gum, bleeding. Need to see dentist?

My son bumped his mouth with his arm and a hot wheel car. Now the gum above his front tooth is hanging and bloody and I can see the upper part of his tooth that would normally be concealed by his gum. Does he need to see the dentist or will this heal on its own? I feel that a flap of gum would not just reattach itself and probably needs a stitch ...
Asked On : Mon, 25 Jun 2012
Answers:  6 Views:  184
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM
You didn't mention age of your child. Its really important to consult your dentist because if child is 10-13, teeth are in erupting stage & trauma at that time may lead to developmental anomaly in eruption.
One thing is very clear that your child has got a soft tissue injury & has lost some of bone covering.So its necessary to consult dentist for getting stitches if required.Along with that antibiotic & analgesics are required.Also do take care of his oral hygiene.

Take Care
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Udaykumar Bondre's  Response
Hello & welcome,
As your son have mate trauma in front region there seems to be soft tissue injury or injury to the gums. If the gum tissue above the injured tooth is hanging, then injury is little bit more extensive.
There is possibility that front two Incisor teeth have been traumatized, too. But this can only be diagnosed by taking x-ray & also by having your son clinically examined by dentist for avulsion of tooth or movement of the tooth from its natural location. It will then be treated as per findings.
Even sutures may be placed by dentist if the injury to the gums is more & less likely to heal by itself.
But Antibiotics & painkillers are must in such case as the wound though small, can get infected.

Take care.
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Saumya Khanna's  Response
hi, you should get a radiograph done of the injured tooth, since he is a child the injury can cause damage to the new unerupted tooth, also if the gum has been injured it needs to be sutured back in place. Visit a good pedodontist and get it fixed as soon as possible.
take care
Answered: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
yes it would be prudent to take him to a dentist as it appears that the child has also lost some of the bone covering the tooth. trusting you i feel he might need the stitches too, plus a cover of antibiotics and analgesics alog with a frequent recall.
Answered: Mon, 15 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
hello and welcome,
the gum can be repositioned by suturing or it can be approximated.
visit your dentist and get examined x-ray will help to rule out the condition of tooth,ie,any root fracture,periapical pathoses if present.
if tooyh is mobile and fractured and mobile,rct/splinting has to be done.
take complete antibiotics and analgesics course prescribed by your dentist.
take warm saline and betadine rinses to enhance healing.
please keep the area clean as it can cause spread of infection.
Answered: Tue, 16 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Orthodontics Dr. Atwal Vikram's  Response
as per the information provided by you, the child must be taken to the dentist as its important
that the soft tissue injury can be seen properly.
a proper course of anti biotics is mandatory as there are good chances that the detached gum tissue
might get infected due to loss of blood supply .
sometimes a periodontal pack is placed around the torn gum tissue and it will act like a stitch.
this way the child wont even be afraid of the whole procedure.
take care.
Answered: Mon, 23 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor