Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

Child bumped his forehead. Headache on the affected area. Need to consult a doctor or use paracetamol?

Hello. My 3 year old son bumped his head on Thursday night, he ran into a door, it's his forehead. Yesterday morning he complained about a headache and again later during the day. He is still complaining and seems unwell. There's a blue mark on his head but no bump. This is where he points to when asked where it hurts. Should I see a doctor or just try paracetamol first?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response

Its better that you try Paracetamol first- three or four doses in a day. If its simple soft tissue injury, paracetamol will help for the pain and he will get okay in a day or two.

If he develops vomiting or headache persists its better to have him seen by a Pediatrician.
Usually danger signs in any head injury are loss of consciousness, recurrent forceful vomiting, ear or nose bleed, watery fluid leaking through the nose, fits etc. These things, if seen, warrants an urgent consultation with your doctor.

Hope my answer helps you.
Wish your son good health.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Samik Basu's  Response
Thank you for your query.Do not panic.
Give him some paracetamol and ice compress.
Apply thrombophob gel to the local area to take care of the bruise.
If he vomits,convulses,has bleeding from his ears or nose or complains of severe headache then take him to a doctor.He might need a CT scan .
Otherwise he should be OK in a few days time.
Hope this answers your query.
If you have any other queries kindly direct them to me.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Give paracetamol - it helps.

Blue mark is due to haematoma (blood clot) - it is outside.

It is difficult to confirm or exclude intra-cranial injury, by examination alone.
The presentation is atypical in the child...
It is better to have a scan...
It is a must, if there is change of behaviour, level of consciousness, new symptom or worsening of symptom...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Wed, 10 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor