Causes of increased blood pressure

What increases the blood pressure?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
SALT in your food!

how long do you have to have high blood pressure for to cause or bring on a heart attack. also how high would you have to be before you thought a heart attack or stroke was impending and seek help. also if you have high blood pressure would your pulse and blood pressure increase or decrease just prior to the attack.

My father s pressure has been rising last 2 days, at rest, only the upper number rising steadily but slowly. He just came home from hospital (12-10-13 to 1-17-14) ...(COPD, O2 dropped to 89... DX: double pneumonia... induced coma in ICU, ventilator... slow but steady healthy recovery.... now he s finally home) and NOW his pressure ~the upper number~ has been rising last 2 days. He s been napping a bit more than usual, otherwise no complauints. just took his BP (in bed just woke from nap, but hasn t gotten up) and its 161/98. I m not sure if I should take him to hospital. He isn t complaining, but he tends to do that because he HATES hospitrals. help?? what would YOU do??

Over about the last year my blood pressure has risen and I am worried. It had always been normal (120/80) until about 18 months ago. I had a physical and my doctor advised me that my pressure was slightly elevated. It has gone up steadily since. A few weeks ago it was high, so I gave up a lot of caffeine. I used to consume ridiculous amounts of Diet MT. Dew. Today I took Excedrin Migraine which I know contains caffeine, bit I have been pretty good about staying away from it.. Today I was shopping and I happened upon a blood pressure testing machine in the store, so I tried it. My blood pressure read 158/105. I am worried. I am 44 years old, 5 10 and about 177 lbs. I exercise three times a week, with weights and machines. I took a two month break from exercising because I had surgery to repair a femoral hernia on November 6, 2013. I went back to the gym regularly beginning two weeks ago. Also, I had double hernia surgery in August of 2011. I plan to see my doctor soon about my blood pressure, but I am wondering if I should be worried. Thank you.

Recent questions on  Hypertension

had a bad headache over the last two days just got one of those blood pressure monitors reads 192 over 117 and i guess my heart rate was 94? dont have a history of high blood pressure in family. I am 160 lbs,5 7 ,35years old never smoked hardly drink. Not really under stress. should I be going to the E.R.?

Dear Dr. Langsjoen: A friend is a past heart attach victim, and has congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. He also needs to lose a lot of weight. His cardiologist has him on maximum strength blood pressure medicine as well as a statin, and he is miserable. He is now taking CoQ10 at my suggestion. I have recommended he stop taking the statin and find another way to lower any imflammation (his doctor has never tested his CRP levels). Are there effective ways to reduce blood pressure in a situation like this without the blood pressure drugs? Are there any other therapies which can improve his status?

female 62..on high blood pressure meds for at least ten years; lipitor; recent lab work, blood tests and ekg all normal... in the past week or two i have developed a rapid heart beat when i lie down for bed...fine during daytime...no other symptoms slightly overweight...5 4/ 158. obviously i am concerned...what could this be?

Hi Doctor, I am 27 Years working professional. About 1 year back i was digonsis with High BP - 142/92 and after blood routin examination it was found that my cholestole level (speacially - S. Trichlorides 250) gone up. since one year back i never underwent through any medicine. But since last 2 month when i didn t find any improvement in BP and it was going consistantly, i started lifestyle change such as daily exercise of 30 minutes calicum and potacium full diets such as carrots, apples and other supporting food such as two garlic cloves every morning empty stomach and get off fatty and salty foods. Now my blood pressure is little down 135/85. should i go through cholestrol test again or keep the lifestyle to achieve the desired level. Since starting regualer exercise i can sleep we and but i have little headache still, i also wore spaces of -1.25 power on both eyes as suggest by eye spe. i have also ringing in head (which is little less now these days)

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for 30 minutes and felt a lot better. I home now and concerned ! I had low blood presure. Now its 128...