Causes of increased blood pressure

What increases the blood pressure?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
SALT in your food!

how long do you have to have high blood pressure for to cause or bring on a heart attack. also how high would you have to be before you thought a heart attack or stroke was impending and seek help. also if you have high blood pressure would your pulse and blood pressure increase or decrease just prior to the attack.

My father s pressure has been rising last 2 days, at rest, only the upper number rising steadily but slowly. He just came home from hospital (12-10-13 to 1-17-14) ...(COPD, O2 dropped to 89... DX: double pneumonia... induced coma in ICU, ventilator... slow but steady healthy recovery.... now he s finally home) and NOW his pressure ~the upper number~ has been rising last 2 days. He s been napping a bit more than usual, otherwise no complauints. just took his BP (in bed just woke from nap, but hasn t gotten up) and its 161/98. I m not sure if I should take him to hospital. He isn t complaining, but he tends to do that because he HATES hospitrals. help?? what would YOU do??

Over about the last year my blood pressure has risen and I am worried. It had always been normal (120/80) until about 18 months ago. I had a physical and my doctor advised me that my pressure was slightly elevated. It has gone up steadily since. A few weeks ago it was high, so I gave up a lot of caffeine. I used to consume ridiculous amounts of Diet MT. Dew. Today I took Excedrin Migraine which I know contains caffeine, bit I have been pretty good about staying away from it.. Today I was shopping and I happened upon a blood pressure testing machine in the store, so I tried it. My blood pressure read 158/105. I am worried. I am 44 years old, 5 10 and about 177 lbs. I exercise three times a week, with weights and machines. I took a two month break from exercising because I had surgery to repair a femoral hernia on November 6, 2013. I went back to the gym regularly beginning two weeks ago. Also, I had double hernia surgery in August of 2011. I plan to see my doctor soon about my blood pressure, but I am wondering if I should be worried. Thank you.

Recent questions on  Hypertension

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...

My father Mr. Paresh nath Pal, 69 years old having major kidney failure, wanted to know about what are the ways or alternatives.

I am providing details about him till now.

He has Hyper Tension , Diabetes for near about last 20 years. Pacemaker have been implanted on 2006 because of low pulse rate.

According to his recent report on 8th april:

Blood pressure- 124\75

Blood sugar- fasting92\pp141

Blood urea-104

Blood creatinine-3.90

potassium 4.8

hemoglobin-9

Dear colleaggues, I'm Ingrid Hilman, MD, 58 years. had my stenting on 17 Feb, 3 stents in LAD and RCA.

Since 2 weeks ago, I develop severe headaches, esp during the iningt or when I wake up in the morning and also palpitation (heart rate > 90). I feel weak during palpitation. I do not have hypertension (my BP is between 90-110 and 70-80). I do not have obesity, smoking habits, my lab is pretty good only LDL 100.

Is this because of the herbresser that I take 3 times a day?

Other drug that I take;

- Aspirin 1 x 100 mg

- Plavix 1 x 75 mg

- Lipitor 1 x 10 mg.

Appreciate your inputs on my above complaints. Thank you very much

I am 54 yrs man. Last morning when I masterbaded, i passed some rust coulured semen and some light yellow coloured semen. I am single for the last 12 yrs but have had irregular sex with few partners with healthy and good background. I have no other problem, except high BP for which I take medicene and the BP remain under control. I also maintain normal health and am regularly practicing yoga. But I am very worried about the red semens. Pl advice what to do. Many Thanks!

I am a 25 yr old female that has recently lost 70 pounds and suffers from pcos. I am off all the bp medicines I was taking, and have been on a gluten free diet since 4/21/11 b/c I am allergic to wheat. I have been getting dizzy, lightheaded, and have a fast heart rate and low blood pressure when standing or sitting up. my heart rate is usually in the 60 -70 range when resting, and it's been in the high 90 - 100 range while resting. The dizziness started Sunday 6/19/11 all of a sudden, and I have kept track of my BP and symptoms since Sunday. I get this intense pressure in my head, and the get dizzy, and my heart will race when I start to feel yucky, I have trouble breathing, when my heart rate is up this high for no apparent reason. My BP will be 93/62 and HR 101 standing, or it can be 114/65 and HR 80 a few minutes later.. but if I go from lying down to sitting, it will be elevated, then it elevates when I stand, if I lay down everything is fine.. the pressure in my head goes away, the dizzyness goes away, and the HR goes back to normal... I have a shunt in place for hydrocephalus, my first shunt was placed at the age of two weeks, and first revision was done 4/5/2010. I want to know what is causing this fluctuation in BP and the dizziness, and fast HR...thanks

how often can you take Prednisone? I have reallybad inflamation in my hands and it took it away . The swelling has come back now and I dont know that much about it.

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for 30 minutes and felt a lot better. I home now and concerned ! I had low blood presure. Now its 128...