Can medication for high BP be discontinued abruptly?

I am being treated for High Blood Pressure for several years. Recently I had an arrhythmia episode and after I stopped taking a blood thinner I began having a coughing problem and changed BP meds. Now my BP is higher than ever (180/120 average for last 24 hours) and my pulse is high all the time (Average 100 for the last 24 hours). This has been going on for a month now. I am considering quitting my BP meds for a short period before going back to my Doctor to see if my BP and heart rate will normalize. Am I OK with this action as long as I monitor my BP and heart rate for increases and start the meds again if it goes up?
Fri, 28 Dec 2018

Quitting medicines for high BP has never been encouraged by any physician or cardiologist association of the world. There should be always precise monitoring of the heart and other vital parameters, while changing the BP medicine or even dosage alterations.

Thank you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Purva Patel, General & Family Physician