Can anxiety and lack of sleep cause severe hair fall?

I am losing lots of hair all over the head, not one spot. hair when I brush teeth, when I try to eat, there are hairs, when I shower, comb hair, falling on my clothing, food, etc. Dr. said Thyroid was okay 3.? Husband recently died and I did go many months without much sleep. But this hair falling everywhere is driving me NUTS? THANK YOU. Lillian
Tue, 27 Jan 2015
Hello there,
Stress is one of the biggest triggers for hair loss. I would give you a brief idea how it works. Hair has 3 phases of growth. Anagen,catagen,telogen. The growth phase is anagen. A stressful episode causes a large number of hair follicles to shift to catagen phase which later makes them fall out together. Normally 3 months after a stressful event the hairfall peaks.
I would advice you to do something about your stress . Meditate, do yoga , exercise, maybe talk to a counseller. The hair fall is completely reversible and once this phase passes it would regenerate.
Thank you for your query,
Dr Arun A