Can abdominal distention be a symptom of an intestinal blockage?

Yes I hope you can.I have gotten extremely large upper abdomen. Small intestine area. my bowel movements have changed. They are small in size ; size of my ring finger. Even if I take laxative they are the same. and not near sufficient for me. Could this be an intestinal blockage.
Thu, 5 Jul 2018
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Abdominal distension may be due to gastritis or food Intolerance or Irritable Bowel syndrome or infection or obstruction etc..Until examination is done it is difficult to say what it is. Please avoid spicy food and alcohol avoid smoking and caffeine drinks. Use tablet pantoprazole before breakfast for one week. If symptoms not improved please consult your doctor he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Penchila Prasad Kandikattu 's  Response

Abdominal distension may be due to Infection or Irritable bowel syndrome or food Intolerance or bowel obstruction etc. Avoid spicy food and alcohol, avoid smoking and caffeine drinks. use tablet Pantoprazole before breakfast for one week. If symptoms not improved please get one scan abdomen and get treated accordingly.