Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Am I suffering from Intermittent explosive disorder ?

Is it just a bad temper? Or is it Intermittent explosive disorder? Hello, my name is Randy, I m 5 9 and a male with only axieity problems for right now...but it something else is troubling me and it s been troubling me for the past eight years. Well, it s known by everyone I know that I had anger issues...this is something I ve been trying to work on for eight years and counting, with little success. Like if something doesn t go my way, I get very angry and tend to throw and break things.. or I m doing bad in a video game or my computer begins to perform slowly I begin swearing and tend to throw or break something. The smallest things irritate me sometimes. Whenever I m really angry, I notice it s so hard to control myself and to calm myself down and everytime it s to the point that I ve litrerly trash the area I m located. I m abit concerned because I ve been within an eye lash of losing my job (if I wasn t such a good worker I would have been fired) and I ve destroyed various appliances -- like four computers, one computer I ve kicked the crap out of it and another I ve litterly beaten the screen to the point badly cut up my hand -- not to mention remote controls and joysticks that i ve totaled What do you think is going on here? Could my short fuse be disgused as Intermittent explosive disorder?
Asked On : Sun, 3 Jul 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  133
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic
The problem u are suffering is Intermittent Explosive Disorder. There is poor impulse control and sudden distructive behavior. The person repents following the act but cannot control himself during that particular time. Consult a psychiatrist immediately and he will prescibe you medication like mood stabilizers to control your impulses. Psychotherapy is also offered in the form of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, anger control techniques and relasxation methods.
Thanks and regards
Answered: Wed, 1 May 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Hello Randy,

In such problems, it does not matter if the diagnosis is intermittent explosive disorder or something else. All that needs to be done is to bring down your impulsive behaviour and your anger outbursts. It is important to look for any cause of such behaviour. One of the common cause is anxiety (you have mentioned about it), which can cause irritability and anger.

Consult a psychiatrist and discuss your problems. You can also make some modifications to your lifestyle to minimise your stress levels. Deep breathing exercises will calm your nerves in the long run. Physical activity and sports can divert your aggression away from your workplace.
Answered: Sun, 3 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
you have got behavioral disorder.
consult psychiatrist and psychologist.
With the treatment and counseling you will be completely alright.
take treatment regularly and follow up and counseling in time.
Ok and take care.
Answered: Sun, 3 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor