Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Addicted to alcohol. Is there any medicine to give him without his knowledge to cure?

sir, good afternoon I am Amarendra Maharana artist, delhi i have the question about one of my relative who is completely addicted with alcohol. now he is harmful for the family......... All family members are trying to help him..... so is there any medicine to give him without his knowledge? kindly suggest ...... thank you
Asked On : Mon, 1 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your concern for your relative. It is very difficult to treat someone with an addiction problem, if they don't have any motivation to change. Any treatment given without the person's knowledge or co-operation will not be effective.

However, this does not mean that there is no hope. The best way is for his family members to convince him to see professional help. There are many psychological techniques to improve motivation - called motivational enhancement therapy - which will help convince the person to take treatment. So, please get him to see a psychiatrist for planning further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Nehal Shah's  Response
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your available history.

For alcohol deaddiction, motivation of patient is topmost necessity. There are therapies like motivation enhancement therapy which increase the motivation of patient.

It is difficult to treat alcohol deaddiction by medicines given out of knowledge of patient.

You should consult psychiatrist for proper management of patient.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor