Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

85 years and has balance issues. Tests show change in Pituitary gland size. Related?

my mother 85 has suddenly had imbalance issues and feels like her eyes are crossed . she has had the cat scan, blood work and now an mri . Doctor said all is clear! no sinus , no inner ear , noe eyes, not tia no tumors..but he noticed a change in the size of her pituitary glad from the mri of 5 years ago. Now he want a contrast mri and blood work to check the pitutary. He said an endocrinologist would be the next route and would probably give her some pill to take down what may be sudden swelling causing her walking like a drunk and seeing double, What do you think?
Asked On : Tue, 26 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  28
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the symptoms, I would think of a posterior circulation stroke as the first diagnosis. In this condition, there may be lack of blood flow in brainstem and/or cerebellum.

Regarding the normal MRI, it happens in some cases. However, a repeat MRI later would show the infarct (blood clot).

Regarding pituitary swelling, it is likely to be a small adenoma (benign tumor), which can be confirmed with contrast scan. In any case, her symptoms are not related to the pituitary swelling.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Answered: Wed, 27 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor