3 year old cannot walk independently neither can speak intelligently, What kind of doctors can we consult?

Hello, I have a 3 year old son, who was born normal except for weak legs. He was pretty normal with average health till about 8 months of age. Only noticeable issue was that he used to show fewer emotions. He didn t start smiling before 6-7 months of age. He didn t start beginning to giggle well until 8-9 years, that too very short smiles. The only emotion he showed well enough was crying. He would cry when we ll bath him. And he will cry loud and resist to full of his strength. Trouble began when we didn t see him begin to sit by the age of 6 months. He wouldn t want to stand up. He would only stand if holding me or my wife while sitting on sofa etc. If I may add my understanding, I feel he had some sort of fobia. If we get away from him, he will begin to lose balance and within a minute will tumble down. Now he has turned 3, but still cannot walk on his own. He needs support. Like he will walk by the wall, or furniture or will crawl up and down the stairs, but won t walk on his own. We took him to quite a few doctors, and most of them weren t able to help much. We were advised to take help of physiotherapist, which we did. And that did help to an extent, in the sense that, his legs muscles opened up, and his legs started responding to tests. But still he is not normal. Second, and more worrisome, concern is that he cannot speak yet. He simply wouldn t want to learn anything we teach. He has just learnt to utter a few words and would say only one of those words in response to all questions. His other growth are okay, including his physical growth. His weight, height are normal and is a perfect kid by the looks. He also reacts normally to other things, such as watching TV, general human emotions. Other factors are okay (not worrisome or abnormal) as far as we can tell. What can we do about his walking and speaking problem? Are these known problems? If yes, are these common problems or rare? What kind of doctors can we consult? What are possible treatments? A worried father from New Delhi, India.
Thu, 12 May 2011