Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

15 yrs old unable to perform any activity, no control in hands, legs very weak. Solution?

my brother is of 15 years old.he can not walk,talk,sit and do other common man activities .he do not have control over his hands. when he born he did not cry and according to other doctors consultant he dnt have any polio problem ,his legs are weak please adderess any solution of this problem. thanks and regards chetna jindal(sister)
Asked On : Wed, 28 Nov 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Feb 2013
This problem called as Cerebral Palsy with Quadriplegia. As your brother dint cry at the time of birth this is suggestive of perinatal asphyxia and hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy leaded to this problem. In this condition limb will be stiff and paralysed. Physiotherapy is the key option to improve stiffness of limbs. Some drugs are there to decrease the stiffness. Multidisciplinary team of doctors are required to address the problems associated with this condition like control of seizures, relieving stiffness and for rehabilitation.Inspite of all this efforts the usefulness of these interventions the outcome will have limitations.
Answered: Wed, 28 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Amit Kumar's  Response
hello chetna,

this seems to be a sequel of birth asphyxia or hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy in medical terms.
in this there is lack of blood supply and hence oxygen supply to the vital organs of our body just after birth because of lack of immediate crying leading to their dysfunction which in case of brain may be very severe as brain can't stand lack of oxygen for long.

the best way of dealing with this kind oof developmental delay should be proper care and physicam rehabilitation that should have started very early in infancy as soon as the signs of sequel is apparent.

but its never too late to start anything.
first you should visit a pediatrician who can do a thorough physical examination with a proper history to evaluate for neurological deficits and other issues like seizures if any. and can suggest some medicines as required. he will also refer you to some physiotherapy centre for proper rehabilitation.

the management is multidisciplinary and is very much demanding and you will have to start with full devotion. i wont say it will make your brother just like any other person of his age group, but it can surely make him self sufficient as far as personal care is concerned.

hope i ve guided you properly
good luck and wish your brother a healthy life.
Dr. Amit Kumar
Answered: Wed, 28 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor