Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

15 yr-old boy with BP of 135/65, pulse 68 weight

15 yr-old boy with blood pressure of 135/65, pulse 68 weight 127lbs and 5'11 ? Is he at risk for heart problems? Has always been very active. Wants to play soccer in the school team and states that after very strenuous exercise he feels stabbing mild pain in the heart area which goes away after resting for ~5min. I m concerned because I know a boy who died playing basketball at age 18.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  581
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
  User's Response
It's a tough problem. The elevated systolic pressure can be followed for a short period. Does he lift weights? Systolic pressure elevations are seen in weight lifters. Although the most chest pain in adolescents is not related to heart problems, a few are. He needs to be checked out by a concerned physician, and possibly referred for a stress test and an echo to rule out things like a prolapsed mitral valve or hyperplastic left ventricle.
Answered: Thu, 17 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor