Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

15 year old with loss of appetite, mood swings. Do I have depression?

Hi, I'm 15 and I'm not sexually active but I've been extremely moody and agitated lately and I never feel hungry like I usually do I can just eat breakfast, lunch and then be done eating. My mom has always had a pretty severe case of depression and I keep researching and I have a lot of the same symptoms of depression. Could what I'm going through be depression?
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  59
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to health care magic
The symptoms like decreased appetitie, decreased sexual interest, agitation and moodiness could be suggestive of depression. As ur mother has depression there is an increased risk for u having it. Depression is also associated with low mood, decreased energy and initiative, loss of interest in activities and negative thoughts( about self, others and future) Ideas of hopelessness and worthlessness are also seen. Sometimes one feels suicidal. If these symptoms occur in u try consulting a psychiatrist at the earliest.
Hope this helps u
Thanks and regards
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychologist Dr. K. V. Anand's  Response
Dec 2015
Just 15 and started worrying?
Then what you will do when you become adult and have all the responsibilities?
Now your duty is to study and play, not to unbnecessarily worry.
Read or ask advices about adolescent life style and developmentl tasks.
You will become aware that the stated problems are related to dolescent life cycle changes.
Don't be under prejudice, for you are not an expert and not at all experienced.
Wishing Great future
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Srikanth Reddy's  Response
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
From the description that you have given, it could be possible that you could be having depression. Especially when there is a positive family history. You should see a psychiatrist who can evaluate in detail.
The possible treatment options are :
1) Medications: Sertraline, venlafaxine, fluoxetine, agomelatonin etc.
2) Talk therapy: Cognitive behavioural therapy.
3) Others: Diet and regular exercise.
But please do attend a psychiatrist who can talk to you in much details about your problem and come to a definite diagnosis.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor