what could be causing my mothers feet or more the
due to decreased blood supply in these areas
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The purple discoloration is usually due to decreased blood supply to an area. The blood supply to the peripheries (the fingers and toes) is temporarily reduced and this would also affect the temperature of these digits
It can sometimes be related to spasm (contraction) of the blood vessels in the area. This is called vasospasm.
Vasospam in these areas can be due to Raynauds phenomenon . In some persons , no reason for the spasm can be found, in others there may be an underlying condition.
Some causes- peripheral vascular disease- blockage in the blood vessels
(2)vasculitis- inflammation of the blood vessels
(3)related to issues with the platelets in the body. Platelets are responsible for clotting
(4)autoimmune conditions such as lupus, scleroderma
Assessment by her doctor can be considered. In addition to physical examination, blood tests would be suggested eg complete blood count, assessment of clotting, kidney and liver function (liver function can affect clotting), autoimmune screen
Imaging can also be suggested for some persons
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?