what causes loud ringing in ears that sometimes is low

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 2 Apr 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what causes loud ringing in ears that sometimes is low pitched then goes up high quick . It then stays .
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The ringing in the ear would be referred to as tinnitus.

It can vary in pitch, there is no specific cause for the variation in the pitch that occurs but there are a number of different possible causes of tinnitus.

Some of the most common reasons for tinnitus are: (1)age related hearing loss- persons with hearing loss as they age can also develop tinnitus along with the loss of hearing

(2)side effect of medication- aspirin and similar medications, some diuretics (meds that help to reduce the fluid in the body) and some antibiotics

(3)meniere's disease- a condition of the inner ear that is associated with dizziness/vertigo as well

(4)presence of a mass- this is not as common

(5)trauma, excess wax or infection

(6)there are also certain general medication conditions such as thyroid disease, anemia

Evaluation by an ENT specialist would help to determine the cause and would allow for treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Would anything like Hydrocephalus or previous neurological problems cause it even if it happened over 30 years ago? I had Meningitis at 5 months I also have epilepsy. There is also mention of a lacunar infarction on my CT but I don't know when it happened.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
can occur in persons with hydrocephalus and epilepsy

Detailed Answer:
HI

Persons with hydrocephalus can have tinnitus and it can also occur in some persons with epilepsy as well