significance of a green stool

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: significance of a green stool
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If duration is not long its normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query my dear patient,

Stool comes in a range of colors.Stool color is decided by the amount of bile secreted and the over all digestive wellness of gut .Bile is a green fluid that digests fats and is secreted by the liver.As bile pigments travel through your gastrointestinal tract, they are chemically altered by enzymes, changing the pigments from green to brown called stercobilinogen which imparts brown colors to stools,
You have not mentioned the duration of problem and bowel habits.In some patients rate of moment of intestines is high hence bile can not be broken down into stercobilinogen properly hence giving green color to stools.
Usually seen in patients with loose motions.Irritable bowel or incomplete digestion of food.
If the duration is less then a week i would suggest you to take antispasmodic dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily to slow down the rate of peristalsis of intestine and hence bile would be broken properly.
In case of any other long term history kindly mention it with follow up.
Feel free to follow up,
Would be happy to help,
Thank you and regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D