my wife has had an upset stomach for some time
Add Zofran for Nausea.
Hello and Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Ranitidine is a H2 blocker and is not meant to control nausea.Add Zofran 4 mg thrice daily initially followed by 4mg as and when required to control nausea.Its anti nausea and is over the counter.
As far as altered taste sensation in mouth is concerned i have to ask few questions
Is she on any other medication apart from Ranitidine?
Does she has acid peptic disorder or reflux problem?
Any history of recurrent gut upset?
History of diabetes?
Any specific diet she is following like keto diet?
Has a liver function test ever done?
waiting for answer.
H2 blockers like ranitidine are very weak antacids!
Hello again my dear patient,
H2 blockers are medications given to treat acid peptic disorder.They slows down the release of acid from parietal cells in stomach.
She is on a number of medications so very likely her nausea is a result of alll these medicines she is on.
Just give her zofran 4 mg as and when required.
As she is on so many medicines ask her primary doctor to add a good antacid like proton pump inhibitor with prokinetic drug(rabeprazole and domperidome).
This would prevent acidity(as a result of medications) and nausea.
For burping try to ambulate her or if she can't then give her activated charcoal tablets(otc) to absorb gas.
Hope i was helpful.
Do feel free to follow up!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?