my right ear feels bloated and hurts. It's been itching

Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my right ear feels bloated and hurts. It's been itching for years and for the past few months, i've been using a qtip to relieve the itch and sometimes a metal utensil thingee for finger nails. I know, I know. Sometimes the qtip comes out wet. Tonight the pain woke me up. I rate it a 5 not nearly as bad as the ear ache I suffered as a kid with an ear infection, but a still bit painful. I did do that maneuver where I blew out with my mouth closed and nose pinched and it felt better, but only briefly. At work (desk job) in the past month or so, I felt like a soft buzzing in the same hear and then I got vertigo for perhaps 5 to 10 seconds and it went away and then I was fine. When I bend my head down, it hurts a bit more. It feels like my right ear is full.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems otitis media

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

From the symptoms you are giving it is evident that you are having some otitis media which is acute infection of the mucosa behind the ear drum. Or you are having infection of the ear canal. Do you have any hearing difficulty,ear discharge? Start some nasal spray fluticasone, Steam inhalation. Avoid ear picking which can damage the canal wall and can cause same pain. Start an antiallergic tablet at night. You can do the Valsalva manouvre. Don't put water in the ear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Rajat
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rajat Basak 22 minutes later
Thank you. No hearing difficulty and no ear discharge. I'm stopping ear picking forever! Am gong to take a benedryl now and go back to bed. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hii. Please start fluticasone nasal soar which will keep your ear fine. Rev

Detailed Answer:
Hii. Please start fluticasone nasal soar which will keep your ear fine. Review if any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana