question-icon

Hi, My Blood Test Results Said That I Have More

Posted on Tue, 28 Jul 2020
Question: hi, my blood test results said that I have more than 7,000 pg/ml of vitamin B 12 in my blood. I was taking some supplements that contains Vitamin C and Potassium. Could be something related to liver or do I need more test? Thanks for your suggestions.
I am woman. 37 years old
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Rule out liver or kidney problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing "Ask a Doctor" service for your query,
Have seen your details,
Your B12 levels are high and it has no relation with vitamin C or potassium intake.
Most likely cause to rule out is problem with liver or kidney.
Liver cells when get destroyed releases vitamin B 12 and vitamin B 12 is excreted by kidney therefore we need to rule out any problem related to Liver or Kidney.
I would suggest you to go for few tests-
liver function test
Kidney function test
and a ultrasound of abdomen to rule out problem related to liver and kidney.
Hope I was helpful,
Thank you!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist