Will THC help manage symptoms of Crohn's Disease?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have Crohn's Disease (had a total proctocolectomy with ileostomy). I continue to have pain, cramps, and Crohn's related uveilitis (chronically). Would medical THC help relieve symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....opinion is divided amongst doctors about the use of THC in crohn's disease.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
I know the problems being suffered by you.
There is no fixed opinion amongst gastroenterologist regarding the use of medical THC in crohn's. 
Crohn's and colitis foundation of XXXXXXX ( CCFA ) doesn't endorse the use of smoking marizuana by IBD patients.
CCFA states that while marizuana might temporarily reduce pain ,nausea and cramps,there is as yet no evidence that it can control chronic intestinal inflammation,which is the basic pathology of crohn's disease.
CCFA states that harmful side effects of marizuana far outweigh it's potential benefits.
In my option,you should go by the advise given by your treating doctor as he has to take care of you permanently.In case your doctor doesn't mind use of marizuana by you,you may go ahead with its use and see the response yourself.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta