question-icon

Why have I not felt better despite taking 2.5 mg of Klonopin while weaning off Paxil?

Posted on Tue, 8 Dec 2020
Question: I have had insomnia & anxiety since a little kid. I started major panic attacks at 16 & put on medication. They always used tons of tranquilizers, etc. One doctor got me on 30 mg. Paxil , 4 mg. Klonopin, 10 mg. 3 x day & for sleep 200 mg. trazodone. My current doctor first tried removing me from Paxil, but I was really wired and I did it very slowly. Back on 30 Paxil & for 9 months came down slowly to 2.5 mg. of Klonopin; however, 9 weeks on this dose, I was wired. The doctor told me to go back on the 4 mg., but when I saw him, he told me that my body is so used to it that it is withdrawal. If this is true, why would I not feel any better after 9 weeks on 2.5 mg. ? My mind kept racing & I sweated non-stop & could not make concrete decisions. Basically I couldn't do anything outside other than walk or hit the gym to help, but it still did not work. Do I have anxiety??
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
This is due to anxiety only.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking.

I can understand your problem. You have anxiety only and are on anti anxiety drugs. If the doctor is not able to reduce the 30 mg Paxil then we can think of using CR or controlled release preparation of this drug in 37.5 mg dose. Controlled dose will provide day long effects and will effectively control anxiety.

There is no use in reducing dose of Klonopin as of now because this might precipitate severe anxiety. So a minor tweaking in doses can help you. You can talk with your doctor for this.

Apart from this please follow healthy life style. You are doing exercise already. Avoid alcohol, smoking, excess coffee or carbonated drinks. Listen to light music and this will also help you.

Thanks and take care

please let me know if you need more help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist