Why am I pooping red bright blood and having stomach ache?

Dr. Ram Choudhary

Posted on Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I'm pooping red bright blood and my stomach hurts
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
A hurting stomach and passing bright red blood is called hematochezia and there can be two possibilities-
You may be having a bleeding source in the upper gut like an ulcer, malignancy, bleeding arteriole called Dieulafoy lesion in stomach, duodenum as a source of bleed.
second prominent possibility is that you are having a long standing acid-peptic disorder affecting stomach as a cause of pain and you are having a hemorrhoid, villous adenoma or fissure in ano that is, a lesion in the terminal part of gut as a source of bleed.
All these possibilities are important and must urgently brought to medical-surgical attention. You would need urgent endoscopy of gut and may need blood transfusion if your Hb. is found to be low.
You should not take any thing from now onward till you get evaluated by a gastroenterologist or a gastrointestinal surgeon.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!