Why am I having body aches, low energy, lightheadedness and fluttering sensation in the chest after taking Lisinopril and Atenolol?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I haven't been feeling right for a while now .I am 51 year old male I do take liceniprel and atenanol for blood pressure.I am feeling achey and have very little energy and sometimes I get these really light headed moments. also I get these like fluttering moments in my chest . I know I could stand to loose 30 lbs but I am veryactive with my work where it is physical and moving all day long . XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your medicines need to be reviewed.

Detailed Answer:

Firstly, you should get your blood pressure and pulse rate checked. Because low bp and low pulse rate, which can occur in you due to both lisinopril and atenolol, can cause this.

Otherwise, also, many a time people on beta blockers like atenolol feels this side effect. So if not absolutely necessary (don't know the indication for atenolol) then it should be replaced with other antihypertensive like Amlodipine or dose need to be decreased.

Also, we should rule out the possibility of atrial fibrillation as you mentioned some fluttering in the Chest. For that, you 'll need pulse examination by a doctor, ECG or may need Holter monitoring is strongly suspected.

Now, if bp is on the lower side then have some coffee and fluids like fruit juices, water with added salt and sugar to raise the bp.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Sagar Makode, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad