Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

White line on penis head,itchy,swollen,white substance

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
20 years married, not STD related. I have a small (1cm or close) thin white line that appears underneath and about 1/2 inch below the head. The line is slightly raised and visible and has been there for years. Lately, the line seems to have become sensitive (after intercourse) and is irritated for a few days post. Additionally, the appearance of a white ball or circle appears on both ends of the line, both circles have appeared and gone away before (they are slightly bigger than the line - like a barbell. Most recently, on one of the circular balls on one end of the line - became increasingly larger and after a week of irritation I squeezed a hard white substance out of the circular area. No blood, puss or discharge was present - only a hard white substance. Obviously, the circular area went away, but has now reappeared in the same spot, and seems to be increasing again like last time. The line is very thin but very clearly visible and white. Both circular areas seem to be attached.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
The circular raised areas on the underside of your penis may be due to the following reasons-
1. Dermatitis-Caused by yeast infection or excessive sweating. An examination by dermatologist will help in diagnosis and you need topical antibiotics and steroids to treat the problem.Sweat helps the bacteria to grow causing an infection.
2. Allergic rash- Usually associated with itching.
3.Too much sex. All that friction can leave your penis feeling – and sometimes looking – sore.
4. A subtle form of herpes. Even if you are using condoms it is best to get yourself tested for it.
5.Molluscum contagiosum: Small dome shaped in appearance with a central depression and are caused due to virus.
If you have a history of sexual contact with an unknown partner then they can be suggestive of warts or any other STD's.
Don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical creams like Lotrimin after prescription from your doctor. Wear cotton clothes, retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then you may need oral antimicrobials/ antifungals for which you have to consult and get it prescribed from your doctor.
If there are any other symptoms as pain, discharge, itching and it has been present since long kindly consider visiting your Primary Physician or a dermatologist so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: White line on penis head,itchy,swollen,white substance 18 hours later
Can you offer any suggestions related to how the white line between the slightly larger circular areas is connected here. I can't find a picture on the internet (looking at all possibilities of diagnosis could be) that depicts examples of the white line i'm seeing. Additionally, since the white line has been there for years - it seems to eliminate the possibilities noted above. Too much sex can be ruled out. Seems odd to me that a line that has been there for years, would suddenly become sensitive and develop circular areas at each end - one of which has produced a hard white substance. The white line is slightly larger than a hair and one end has a slightly larger circular area of maybe 1mm. The white bumps are part of and connected to the line, and don't appear in any way classic to molluscum.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The white line that you had for years seems to be a harmless finding- probably a skin variation. It is the 'two sensitive spots' on both the sides that need to be diagnosed.

The white substance are usually normal secretions referred to as smegma. These secretions can sometimes block glands causing sensitive areas. In such dermatological conditions, physical examination becomes necessary for diagnosis.

I would advise you to get yourself properly examined from your dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

Wishing you an early recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor