White fingers and toes, problem with circulation. Is there any cure for Raynaud's phenomenon?

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra

Pulmonologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Blood Disorders
Question: i love being outdoor and my work is outdoor too. since i was 15 i have had problems with my ciculation, i often get white fingers and toes. i think it is raynauds syndrom and therefore i wonder if there is any cure for raynauds?
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

After going through your history, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your history does look like Raynauds phenomenon. And you have this problem since 13 years of age.

2. You must have investigated yourself for that. If not then you need to get yourself investigated.

3. The most important part is to distinguish if the Raynauds is primary or it is secondary to any other disease. The treatment depends on this.

4. Regarding secondary Raynauds, I would like to mention the following - Although Raynaud phenomenon has been described with various autoimmune diseases, the most common association is with progressive systemic sclerosis (90% in individuals with scleroderma) and mixed connective-tissue disease (85% prevalence). Raynaud phenomenon has also been described with such diverse diseases as vibration injury, polyvinyl chloride exposure, and cryoglobulinemia.

5. Thus you need to undergo some blood investigations to rule out secondary causes.

6. The treatment of primary raynauds is as follows:

General measures: These include education, warming of local body part, and cessation of vasoconstricting agents such as nicotine.

Primary Raynaud phenomenon
- Avoidance of precipitating factors and use of gloves is indicated.
- Medicine option (Please consult your physician regarding these): calcium channel blockers, (eg. nifedipine), Angiotensin receptor blockers and intravenous prostaglandins, selective serotonin uptake inhibitor (SSRI) (like fluoxetine).
- Therapy with antiplatelet agents may be useful (under consultation with your physician).

7. Thus you need to consult and get examined by your physician so that appropriate treatment options may be initiated as per your case.

8. Primary Raynaud phenomenon is usually treatable on an outpatient basis.

9. The prognosis of primary Raynaud phenomenon is usually very good, with no mortality and little morbidity.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil