question-icon

When I went to stand up the other day I

Posted on Sat, 23 Feb 2019
Question: When I went to stand up the other day I felt and heard a popping from behind my knee with intense pain in my thigh. It's not getting any better. I can't get off of chairs or get in and out of a car. Once I'm standing i can walk just fine but my knee and leg feel very tight.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (55 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Probably meniscus tear, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to a torn meniscus.

The activities which twist or rotate your knee can lead to a torn meniscus.

I recommend you to do an x-ray to exclude other possible medical conditions.

Meanwhile, I recommend to continue using anti inflammatory medication such as Motrin three tablets a day.

I suggest you to avoid activities that trigger the pain and use ice compresses for pain relief.

I also recommend doing physical therapy to strengthen the muscles which support the knee.

If the symptoms continue you should see an orthopedist for further examination such as an MRI.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi