Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

What's the best way to treat bleeding hemorrhoids?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10295 Questions
What's the best way to treat bleeding hemorrhoids?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
initial conservative treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels in the lower rectum.

They can be associated with pain, bleeding and itching in the anal region.

There are 4 grades of hemorrhoids and the treatment varies slightly according to the grade.

Grade 1: the hemorrhoids may bleed commonly but do not protrude out of the anus

GRade 2: the hemorrhoids protrude out of the anus on straining but return after straining ceases

Grade 3; the hemorrhoids protrude with or without straining and have to be manually returned into the anus

Grade 4: the hemorrhoids are chronically prolapsed and cannot be reduced

For all the grades, conservative treatement is initiated first. This reduces the inflammation and swelling.

This consists of : (1) diet with high fiber content

(2)adequate fluid intake -at least 8 glasses

(3)use of stool softeners such as ducolax

(4)use of warm sitz baths 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15 minutes- this reduces swelling and discomfort

(5)topical and oral pain killers

(6)short term use of a topical steroid such as hydrocortisone to reduce the inflammation

(7) when cleaning dab not wipe to reduce trauma to the area

In terms of grade specific treatment:
GRADE 1: this is treated with conservative treatment, also avoid spicy and fatty foods

GRADE 2 and 3: these are also initially treated conservatively unless the grade 3 symptoms are very bad

GRADE 3 and 4: surgical treatment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor