What will be the effects of Anavar during initial stages of pregnancy?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: i took anavar for 3 days 10 mg a day. i found out i was prgnant 6 weeks later. this means i took the steriod during my first week of pregnancy. can i have this baby, will ot be affected?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
anavar is contraindicated in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query to healthcare magic.com

Anvar or Oxandrolone has been assigned to pregnancy category X by the FDA. Anabolic steroid use, particularly during the first trimester of pregnancy, may cause virilization of the external genitalia of the female fetus. Hence, as it was taken during early first trimester, it can affect the foetus. It would be suggested that chances of anomaly are higher and hence termination of pregnancy by medical method should be contemplated after a discussion with your obstetrician.

Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist