Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

What tests should be done for parkisons disease?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 3314 Questions
Hi, I would like to have your recommendation between the below two test of parkisons, as well as where can be founded in XXXXXXX Also about the side effect of your recommended one.
Brain TRODAT Scan
Floura Dopa PET
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Both procedures are relatively free of sideeffects

Detailed Answer:
I have carefully read your query and understand your query,

Brain TRODAT and floura dopa pet scan are recent imaging modalities for early detection of parkinson's disease.

TRODAT scan is performed by injecting technetium 99 isotope into the circulation and obtaining images of brain between 165 and 195 min after injecting using a SPECT brain imaging (by gamma ray camera).

These pictures reflect the amount of uptake of the isotope in the regions of brain concerned with Parkinson's disease -Nigrostriatal pathway.

Specific uptake in these regions is calculated and compared with other side of the brain as well as with the healthy volunteers and scores are given.

No remarkable adverse reactions are found either in healthy volunteers or in Parkinson's disease patients during or after procedure.

Fluorodopa pet scan also involves injecting of isotope 18FLURO-FDG .
It is a valid method of assessing the functional state of nigrostriatal dopaminergic pathway.

It is particularly useful for studies requiring repeated measures like examinations of the course of the disease and the response to treatment.
It is also remarkably free of side effects.

These neuroimaging facilities are available at LELAVATI HOSPITALS, Bandra west XXXXXXX

I hope this info is helpful to you,
wish you a good health,
Thank you,
take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor