question-icon

What should my concerns be about a child with high fever when diagnosed with strep throat?

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018
Question: my child is 6 years old had a fever of 99.8 at the drs office today was diagnosed with strep throat hehad a higher fever of101.7 last night and is now 103.3 after taking his antibiotic what should my concerns be and when do I need to take him to an ER if necesary
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (53 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Since the diagnosis of Strep throat has already been made you can rest assured that treatment with antibiotics will ensure a fast resolution of the problems. You also need to make him gurgle with lukewarm water. Give paracetamol or acetaminophen for fever. I do not suppose that you would need to take him to the ER. However, if the child becomes lethargic and does seems to have a deteriorating sensorium, you would need to take him to the ER. I do not however suppose that such a thing will happen.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician